Campbell

Benjamin Campbell, Campbell's founder, came West in 1846 with his family. His father, William, is noted for having surveyed the cities of San Jose and Santa Clara, and for starting a sawmill near the town of Saratoga. In 1851, Benjamin Campbell bought 160 acres and planted it with hay and grain. This acreage later became Campbell's historical downtown core. Campbell was officially incorporated as a city in 1952. City offices occupied several buildings, such as Fire House No. 1 and the old Congregational Church, before the official City Hall was built. Campbell has grown from a small farming community with a population of approximately 5,000 to a progressive community with a population of over 38,000.